OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY SERVICES
We provide support for the following areas:
- Gross motor movements: Your child may demonstrate avoidance of gross motor activities, delay in achieving motor milestones such as crawling, poor body awareness, clumsiness, bilateral coordination, etc.
- Fine motor skills: Your child may demonstrate difficulties with establishing a dominant hand, tying shoelaces, using cutlery, holding a pencil, manipulating buttons, using scissors, manipulating small objects (e.g. coins, beads, marbles, etc), strength and control.
- Handwriting: Your child may demonstrate difficulties with poor pencil grasp and pressure, incorrect letter or number formation (including reversals), poor spatial orientation, poor legibility, slow writing speed, difficulty initiating a story, difficulty planning stories or getting thoughts on paper or poor posture.
- Play Skills: Your child may demonstrate difficulties playing with objects, following games with rules, social skills, symbolic or pretend play.
- Visual Perception: Your child may demonstrate difficulties with reading, spelling and handwriting, copying from the smart board, remembering sight words, letter and number reversals, poor eye-hand coordination or poor understanding of left/right.
- Self care skills: Your child may demonstrate difficulties getting dressed, toilet training, doing up fasteners, etc. They may have difficulty with completing these tasks independently.
- Planning and Organisation: Your child may demonstrate difficulties thinking, organising and carrying out a sequence of actions such as getting ready for school, completing homework or following instructions.
- Sensory Processing Skills: Your child may demonstrate heightened responses to touch, sensitivities to noise, seeking out movement, poor balance, impulsivity, avoidance of movement activities, licking or chewing non-food items or poor attention.
- Self Regulation: Your child may demonstrate difficulty understanding their emotions and regulating them according to different situations. They may over react or under react to problems. They may have difficulty understanding someone else's perspective, poor problem solving and poor social skills. Your child may have difficulty with turn taking, waiting or following the rules of a game.