Development of Drawing Skills
1. Holds marker and move it backwards and forwards over page
2. Lifts marker from paper and moves it in a different directions; imitates a vertical stroke
3. Scribble in circles
4. Imitate a horizontal line
5. Imitate a cross
6. Definite and controlled strokes - crayon is manipulated with thumb and fingers so the forms are smaller and more controlled
7. Imitates or copies a circle
8. Drawing with circles - the first symbol for human form. Varying numbers of dots inside for eyes, nose and mouth
9. Numerous lines outside for hair, arms, legs etc
10. Lines in bunches for hair and fingers
11. Arms straight out from head
12. Two dimensional arms
13. Separate body
14. Child progresses to drawing with squares and then to drawing with triangles.
Read my blog post about activities to help your child develop their drawing skills Click Here.